The new theme that SamuelNova.com is using is the xMark 2.0 created by Lisa Sabin-Wilson. The funny thing was that I decided for this theme a week ago but just before I did the upgrade I did a double check on the web site for it; and to my surprise I saw that Lisa updated it, so it works better with WordPress 2.3, perfect timing.
The upgrade went very smooth, so let me go over the steps I took in the change. I’m sure that other people will be able to upgrade the same steps but I do not make any guarantee that it will work for all.
Call me paranoid but I really like to have backups before I do changes, especially when it is massive changes as this one. I do backups on a regular basis, not only the web sites but also of all local data.
- Did a full backup of the WordPress folder on the web server
- Backup of SQL database
Next step was to get an overview of the plugins and other settings.
- Wrote several text files with
- What plugins was used, including version number
- Content of each Widget
- Special tags used on the page
- AdSense codes
- Any options that I thought would be useful to keep in a text file
- Checked the list with plugins to see what the status are of them all, if the author had released new versions or if there were reported issues with WordPress 2.3
- Disabled all plugins
- Upgraded to WordPress 2.3 using the One-Click-Installs (which also does upgrades) (from DreamHost … 97$ discount page)
- Finished the 2.3 upgrade directly from WordPress
At this time the site still worked, just with a few errors due to the old theme.
Change of theme
- Upload xMark the theme to WordPress and selected it inside WordPress admin area.
Surprise… It just worked :-)
- Did some modifications to the theme, such as the upper/left graphics :-) and some movement of text.
- Worked on the widgets in the two side bars on the right. What had to be included and in what order (this is an ongoing task)
- Installed few new plugins, also removed a few old ones that was no longer needed.
- More small modifications to the theme and the style sheet used by it.
I didn’t run into any problems with the upgrade or the theme or any plugins, so all in all a very smooth upgrade. This does not mean that I’m done yet, I still got some plugins and widgets that I want to check. Then again, new plugins and widgets appear all the time.
Do note: I’m not using tags but still the good old categories. I might add tags at a later stage, but that will be when I have some hours free as I will need to go back to all old posts and add tags to them.
I will one of the next days do a post about what plugins I’m using and where they can be found.